Apr 12, 2010

oh what fun!


Dear Family,
 
Conference was pretty pretty awesome. Although, just like last time, it would have been better were it in English. I noticed the voices of some of the missionaries who had returned home already. Translating for general conference would be fun.
 
I'm here in Srisaket on the day before the Songran water festival. There are already people driving around in trucks and setting up booths to ambush people and soak them with water. Currently I am only parshly wet. Tomorrow I will be completely wet. Sadly this time of year brings around a corrupt tradition of drinking alchohol  with friends at night. Many families have children who start drinking while they are young.
 
The Lord has blessed us with some pretty awesome investigators. One of them is named Ahm. He is only 18 years old but he has shown a lot of maturity for his age--consitering that the Thai people don't consiter people adults until they are about 21 years old. He comitted himself to avoiding the drinking that goes on in the society. Indeed, usually drinking is a social thing. You drink because all of your friends do. We teach him everyday. Another one of our investigators is named "Ahn." She travels about an hour every Sunday to get to church. That's the Spirit!
 
Right now I am switching-off with the "Assistant to the President."  Which just happens to be Elder Bryant who was in the MTC class just before my group.  Today is a sort of abnormal day because of Songran (usually monday is a Preperation Day). This morning we walked along the side of the road and talked to everyone that we met. One the guys that we met opened his heart and set an appointment fir us to come back tonight. If we can, and we are infront of their house, we will ask to come inside and talk with them for 10 minutes. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is true!  And it's so powerful. The more I understand it the more I love it. We enjoy talking with people and getting to know them. One of the people we talked to liked music. And he had a guitar. Elder Bryant played some songs from the guitar with him. Afterward he showed interest in helping his family so we set an appointment with him.
 
Speaking of family, from general conference there was a definite theme about families and specifically about raising kids. The Gospel of Jesus Christ blesses families. Our family is way blessed because of the Gospel. I carry the pictures that we took before I came to Thailand around with me all the time. Just today I showed a policeman a picture of our family--all nine of us kids along with Braden, Jade, and Crystal. Aaron is in there too... He just wasn't official yet. I didn't say much to him but I got his number.  Just about everyone that I show the pictures to says that our family is "Ob un" which means warm/happy.  What a blessing to be sealed together for eternity so long as we keep our covenants. There is nothing more important than that. I still pray for our direct and extended families to succeed in such great a cause. I especially pray that Kara and Michael will prepare quickly. Having a "companion" is all kinds of fun and you learn a thing or two from it. ;p  And a missionary companion can't compare to an eternal companion.
 
Well, the Lord is blessing us greatly. He always does when we obey him. It's that easy! I would advise Brandon and Justin and Jared to learn the Book of Mormon, to develop your talents that aren't involved with a computer (you don't get much use out of those talents on your mission) (plus you're way too good at that already), and to start practicing the mission rules or rather start practicing becoming more like Christ. For instance! Try not using any word that Jesus Christ wouldn't use for a day. Ex: G4y su(k etc. Last time we talked on the phone there was a lot of those words being used. I hadn't heard that kind of language in a long time.
 
Those things will prepare you for a mission. They will help prepare you for Eternal life.
 
I love you all soooooo much,
 
--Elder Lilly

No comments: