Dear Family,
Thanks for the E-mails. It feels good to read them every time. :p
Having a Thai companion is great. It is a good opportunity to refine my Thai skills. I always try to speak as clearly and close to a Native Thai person as I can. I don't want the language to be a distraction from the spirit as I teach. But honestly with my new Thai companion I have been working on helping him speak English more than asking him to help with Thai. He can only say a few sentences but he understands English okay. I try to spend time working on vocabulary with him throughout the day. He is going to be one of the future leaders of Thailand. He could use the English skills.
Our investigator Pawn interviewed for baptism last Saturday but she didn't pass. She prayed to know if the things that the missionaries taught were true but she never prayed specifically to know if Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. She was a bit embarrassed from not passing but she is a trooper and I am confident in her. She felt a lot better after talking to one of the members who didn't pass the first interview as well who told about her experience of having to interview with several people. Pawn is going to make it for sure!
Something interesting that changed from our last zone conference is that we will no longer be moving on to teaching lesson two or three until after the investigator has a testimony of lesson one. That is interesting because some people seem to connect to different doctrines better than others, everyone has different needs. But there is a strong power in the restoration and after an investigator has a testimony of that then the rest will follow through quickly and easily. Then again restoration includes more than just the Joseph Smith story.
So Elder Panom and I have made a vision for Ayutthaya, set goals, and made plans. We are going to hold a special fireside about Enduring to the End and about building God's kingdom. We are going to help the members set goals and work to develop the Christlike attributes which is part of enduring to the end. We will also give them some direction and help in applying the gospel principals. Also, we are going to get Sister Peterson and Elder Peterson to help us inspire all of the single females in the ward to go out and find a boy friend for us to teach. We are quite lucky in America to have so many members and Priesthood holders. These poor girls in Thailand don't have so many ready options. Their next step and responsibility in their progression in life is to raise a family! Sister Peterson was telling me about the trend that's going around the world to remain single and "free." I personally feel like as soon as I'm home, re-adapted, She's ready and I've found her then we're good to go. :p (we'll see when I get there.)
For hump day... well that day was moves day so there wasn't very many options but my companion and I successfully made it to the only Mexican restaurant in the Country and ate there for dinner. It's nothing close to Mexican food at home but it's still satisfying.
It's been interesting going out and focusing on only missionary work. It's way hard work, it really takes something out of you if you are doing it right. I've noticed how Satan can influence our thoughts if we let him. I am glad the I have a personal testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel and about life. Whenever I let a bad thought enter my head then I can recognize it's source because I am always sure of truth. Then as I follow what I know to be true (like the commandments) then I feel free to choose to be happy. Happiness is a fun choice. But if we don't obey then it's hard to make it.
I love you all and I pray for you always.
-Elder Lilly



No comments:
Post a Comment