Dear family,
I feel good today. Sister Pawn's baptism went very smoothly. She bore her testimony and it was a very special occasion. I wish her family could have been there too, but I'm sure that they will notice the changes that will occur in her life, all the happiness and joy from the spirit. I sang If You Could Hie to Kolob as the special musical number for her baptism because all of the ward members love that song even though it can only be found in the English hymn book. Elder and sister Peterson might've been the only people who understood the words but the song has such a powerful melody to it. Sister Jiw took the sacrifice and played the piano for the baptism. She is the only member besides me who knows how to play... and you know I'm no good. She was a trooper.
A few days ago Sister Pawn came to the music class that I was teaching for the ward (so that they don't have to depend on the missionaries) and I found out that she has a great voice. Her voice reminded me of mom. She's got that sweet rich alto voice. I was impressed.
So Kara was asking about foods. Thai food in general is good. The vegetables are weird. They don't really have salad. Salad is considered American food, and is expensive to buy. They do Amazing things with Beef, Pork, Chicken... Mmmm, and rice. And eggs, and they make Gangs or rather Curry soup. Eggs are in almost anything and if it's not in it then you can order it on the top. Almost always it will be fried in grease. If bread and butter is the standard for America then rice and spicy pepper sauce is the standard for Thailand. Also, like brother Trasdhal commented, they drink soda in bags and use straws to drink everything. We never use a fork and a knife to eat. We use a spoon and a side-fork to eat. The spoon is a great invention. I've eaten salty crab in pepper papaya salad, all sorts of different curry, barbecued chicken, spicy pork strips, and a bucket of sticky rice. I've tried rat too, it was eatable apart from the mass of little bones left in it. I have a tendency to run into/notice every time there's a bone or a piece of something weird in my food. A simple good meal is called Khaiasai. It's got sweet sauce and meat in the middle of an omelet burrito style. Eat that with some plain rice. It's good. From my experience people either go crazy for sushi or are indifferent about it. Most Thai people love sushi and Japanese food. What food do I miss from home? Hah, everything. Sandwiches. Real bread. There's a delicacy to making a big juicy sandwich that is just not understood nor appreciated here. And Thai candy=cough drops. If you like cough drops then great.
Also, I've got a guitar for Kara. It will cost about 65$ to send home. Do you want it? Actually I have two guitars. Does anyone want the other one? Same price.
I am going to be moving out of Ayuthaya for sure in another two weeks. In two weeks I will have been here for 6months. I'm pretty fortunate to have been able to stay in my areas for 4moves each (6months each). I got to see to a lot of progression in Those areas and I got to be good friends with the members. But at the same time, It will be nice to move.
Thanks for your love and letters (especially to Dad who writes great letters, even if he forgets what he wanted to write about once he got to the computer). I love you all. You guys are the best.
Elder Lilly



No comments:
Post a Comment