Jul 26, 2010

Dear Family,
 
Hey!!!!
 
Well, here I am again sitting in an Internet store surrounded by kids and teens playing silly video games that are all at least 10 years old. It just rained outside. The air is very thick today.  It reminds me of the chapter I recently read in the Book of Mormon about the vapor of darkness that was so thick you could feel it.  This evening we have an appointment scheduled to meet a recent convert who is struggling a bit. But now that we were finally able to contact her she has opened up to us about her trials.  Our appointment with a new family will be moved to tomorrow because they will go to Ubon to celebrate Wan Khaw Pansa which is a Buddhist festival. It's supposedly similar to that one day of fasting that some Christian sects follow. Although I forget It's name. Unfortunately instead of fasting like they traditionally should be doing many just drink more. Ubon is going to have a massive celebration. Many people from all over the world will be going to it.  Despite the rain today, truly Thailand is having a drought.  Usually it rains so much that it floods everywhere. That's what they are used to. Many people say that Thailand is a place that is UdomSombun which means... it's bountiful, the land is fertile and the nature is thriving-- so much so that many people are careless and lazy.  Perhaps there is some truth in that. But as far as the economy is concerned they are struggling.  I think that if they and we do not prepare then the need for food storage will come right to our doorsteps and we will regret not giving enough heed to the warning.  Although it's hard to imagine that it would happen to us.
 
Elder Booth and I are very excited for this my last moves period.  At the beginning of each moves we set a vision for our zone.  I remember setting a vision for my life for the day that I Jope (end) my mission and go home. Now I get to look back and see what I had envisioned actually happen.  I have said before that if we aren't happy when we are doing missionary work then we aren't doing it like we should be.  At times it's a struggle.  But oh what a difference it makes in our work when we are grateful, happy, and rejoicing.  Particularly last moves it seemed that the leaders were reproving people for their lack of progression. Some people got discouraged. Others humbled themselves and kept working on. Personally I think that I am my own biggest judge. But I rejoice in the opportunity to set goals and improve. I can never be satisfied with current levels of progression, and I always fall short of Christ's standard. Therefore even in the days of great success there is need for repentance. Why should I let my weaknesses get me down?  I hope to help those people in the places that are struggling to enjoy the time that they have, so long as their heart is in the right place.  I recall that those times that I was the happiest were the times that I was receiving the most spiritual guidance.
 
So Elder Hood has moved to Korat where I used to be and Elder Taphithak has moved in his place. Elder Taphithak reminds me of Aaron a little bit.  He's pretty laid back, has a similar sort of smile, and he has a cool watch.
 
Tomorrow is Elder Booth's Birthday.  His favorite treat is chocolate flavored raisins.  His family sent him some macaroni and cheese in a package.  I like cheese.
 
We are doing well.
 
Love,
 
Elder Lilly

P.S. We had another Baptism!


No comments: