Dear Family,
Thanks for the E-mails.
I'm so glad that we get to read from the best book ever for an hour everyday. I've learned so much studying the word of God and looking at it from different perspectives. And then to get to spend another hour talking about it and applying it into our work is even better. I find myself rejoicing in the new light and understanding that I have been given as I discussed the Book of Mormon in my companionship study. When I get married I would like to have a companionship study of the Book of Mormon. Lately I've been so busy with zone leader business that I haven't had much for free time. Usually I get home, plan, race to get ready for bed/prep to talk to the district leaders on the zone and then I gather the nightly results from the zone and send it in then it's already late and I need to get to bed. So I decided to wake up an hour early in order to study extra and to write in my Journal. Afterwards I feel so refreshed and the morning seems so much more peaceful. I feel more ready to go out and do the Lord's work. Morning study beats study at any other time, hands down.
Also, I feel like I am starting to really understand the Thai culture and how to apply that knowledge to teaching. The more I work on it the more I learn about it. There are simple little things that we can say or do to help them understand clearly and be more open hearted to our message. For instance if we say that we are religious teachers than it sort of brings to them the feeling or idea similar to their schooling where they are forced to sit down and listen respectfully to the teachers without asking questions until the teacher calls for them. And we probably want money for it because we do it for a living. But if we say that we are religious advisers or rather that we come to advise about religion, not teach about religion, then they get the feeling that we will come and advise about a religious path and that they can choose whether or not they will accept what is taught and apply the teachings to their life. Another example is what I talked about before that they need to have an understanding about the Plan of Salvation and get a taste of what restored truth is before they will really understand the restoration. Then we can go back and teach the Plan of Salvation in detail.
Yesterday and Saturday was district conference. My new companion Elder Booth and I got a call from President Smith informing us that they have no translators for the area seventy that was coming and he needed us to go and translate for him all day. So we did. Then on Sunday we did the same. It was crazy and kinda fun. While translating for the congregation I couldn't remember the word for light house. I looked back to my companion and he gave me a word but it wasn't quite a light house. The congregation understood, but I will never forget the word for light house again. Praphakhan. Yeah. The area seventy was quoting from the hymn Brightly Beams our Fathers Mercy. Unfortunately they don't have that hymn in the Thai Hymn book.
This moves is moves number 15/16. Elder Elwood moved out of the house, Elder Typagone went back to being a normal member, and Elder Hood got a new companion straight from the MTC, Elder Furr. I'm proud of Elder Hood. Other than that there are two more new missionaries in the Zone. Everyone seems excited about the opportunity to train.
President Oaks came to Thailand around the time of all of the Civil unrest. He gave a blessing to Thailand and it's people. He blessed Thailand to have peace. Ever since then there has been no problems that I have heard about. The Peace came so quickly and suddenly. So the work goes on. I sure do love being a missionary and doing the Lord's work.
Love,
Elder Lilly
P.S. PhatPhetPhrikMaMuang is way delicious. I could eat it everyday.



No comments:
Post a Comment