Apr 15, 2009

-Surely the Lord God will do nothing save he revealeth His secrets unto His servants the Prophets.

Today is a Thai water festival called Soengkhran. Actually today is the last day of the three day festival. It is crazy. But first I would like to relate the events that occurred in the past two days.
Near the center of Bangkok there came a large gathering of rioters wearing red shirts. They drove public buses to a large round-about and blocked the roads. There were warnings all over the news and us missionaries were asked to keep our phones on and nearby. If we saw any rioting we were instructed to go home and stay there. Some people did. And to us it already felt like a war because we were trying to avoid the mobs of people who were casting water bombs at us and shooting water at us from hoses and slopping goop onto our faces. At the end of the first day Elder Israelson and Elder Blackhurst's clothes took exceeding casualties. At the start of the next day we received a call from our leaders that the rioting had escalated. We were not to leave our house. Of course we kept working and used the opportunity to do work at or on the house. We didn't wait an absurd amount of time before we were again granted permission to go forth and work on. As the productiveness of inviting was reduced considerably, we instead spent our time in finding old or inactive members to go visit and support. We weren't as successful in avoiding the water and goop as we travelled on bikes on this day. With no opportunity to change clothes we moved in to President Typ's house with his entire family and President Nopadone and his entire family. They compelled us by force to eat their delicious food and deserts until we were not capable of eating more. This was an especially exciting occasion put together to celebrate our times together before I leave Bangkhae this Thursday (tomorrow). We ended the day by helping teach and advise President Typ's son Brother Bun as he prepares for his soon coming mission.
And finally today we make war. The riots are over and the military is already deployed but Soengkhran is not over and we still have a lot of Thai people to soak in water and a lot of faces to smudge goop on. We are dressed already and as I finish writing the war will commence!

Also, it is indeed confirmed that I am moving tomorrow. After we play in the water festival we will need to return home and I will begin packing. I won't know who my companion is or where I am going to until I am packed and we, all of the missionaries, meet in Pakkret. I'll relate my experience with moving to my second area next week.

I'm going to miss all of the people here a lot. They are awesome. The deep feelings of respect that I hold for these people are hard to describe. But I am excited to move to the next area that the Lord has prepared for me. I leave here with good memories and with a feeling of satisfaction in my work.

I love you all!

Also, conference was inspirational.

Love,
Elder Lilly

No comments: