Dear Family,
This last week has been a very interesting experience. I haven't mentioned the names of the investigators who I have been referring to yet, mostly because It's kind of private, and because their names are unpronounceable in the English alphabet, but they all go by nicknames anyway so you'll never know!
Tawadchai (the one who had Tuberculosis) is completely healed, and he quit smoking (I think it's been about a week now since he stopped). He told us before he got the letter in the mail from the doctor that he felt great as if he were healed, and he was determined to stop smoking that day. He has been doing amazing ever since. And now he is helping us teach his 11 year old son. I got to watch his enthusiasm as he helped explain to Ode about Joseph Smith and Heavenly Father. Just yesterday we taught him the law of Tithing and he accepted that commitment after baptism gladly.
Then there's Sang and Naah, the couple who had read in the Book of Mormon everyday between the week of our first appointment and the second. When we saw them two days ago, Sang told us that since he started seeing us he decided that he should quit drinking Alcohol. He told us about the effort he made so far. It wasn't easy. We hadn't mentioned anything about the word of wisdom yet. I guess we'll do that next time. They are so great to visit each week. They committed to visiting with us three times a week to prepare them for baptism before the new year. I hope they make it!
Boy is an investigator that we have been seeing for a while now. We had no clue at all that he was a smoker. The member who we brought along for that lesson was a miracle. He is 40 years old but he looks like he is maybe 28 or 30. He actually quit smoking over several years before he was baptized. But he was a great testament of the Word of Wisdom and how it helped him be as awesome as he is now. Boy is 30 years old and he was amazed. He was set on quitting that night and seeing how long he could go before setting a goal to quit. But with the help of the Lord and his faith, and a lot of prayer, he hasn't gone back yet. Then we also taught him about the Law of Tithing and the blessings from sacrifice. He is excited as well. He asked us about our missions. We told him how the Apostles and the Prophet received revelation for where we should go and then we go and learn the language. He thought that that was the coolest thing.
All of the investigators who stay and progress are miracles.
As far as thanksgiving is concerned, I'm sure it wasn't nearly as awesome as back home. The experience was more of an eye opening perspective changing one. The house we went to was huge! It was really fancy and there was tons of extra from the 20 people who ate with us. I sat next to a man who makes a living buying Stuff for really cheap from all around the world, especially Thailand where he lives most often, and sells the stuff for 3000% on e-bay. His life is an adventure traveling from place to place all around the world, sometimes for business, mostly for vacation (he is really wealthy). He's been to all of the "best" places and sites. He's climbed mount Everest three times. He explained that he has The Life. All you have to do is find a wife who is adventurous and not mind spending time with family because you only see them maybe once or twice a year. He also said he divorced once. I just kinda listened and marveled while I stuffed my face full of good food. I would be content living in a room with only my family. It was quite a contrast from the lives of the investigators and people that I visit and live around each day. The thanksgiving meal was very good, but, it really didn't compare to the homemade cheese Burger that I sacrificed over.
To say the least it was interesting seeing what was important to him.
Well, I need to go. This week I am basically sick. I don't feel so good. But I'm getting better and I'm confident that I'll be back up and at full capacity in a day or two. Thailand has the best juice I have ever tasted before. And Elder Ewing and I made a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. The Ants here are evil. One of the missionaries who was returning home said in his last words "If you can't beat them, eat them." I tried the alternative... microwaving the ants until they go to the sides of the plate. Works like a charm.
And to answer Crystals Question about the weather. There are seasons here. Right now it's great Arizona weather but the Thai people are freezing. I'll finish talking about it later.
Love Elder Lilly
Dec 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Elder Lilly,
You are amazing!! I am so glad that you have a blog so we can all keep up on you mission and tell you we love you and are praying for you.
Love Tessie (Barney) St John
Post a Comment