Aug 19, 2008

Email 8-19-08

Dear Family,
I Love you sooooooooooooo much.
I finally got your letter to me (Mom), and it took three days to get here. I threatened my room mates that I would talk like Gollum if I didn't get a letter by Monday. They were quite impressed with my impersonation... too impressed. Consequently they started threatening amongst themselves to hide my letters. HaHa ...but really, getting letters is proof of Love here. I need to beat them all! One elder has over 20 already within the first week.
And since hand written Letters take three days to get here and they don't do mail on Saturday and Sunday I would like to make sure you know about DearElder.Com. It is a website that delivers e-mails in the form of letters that same day for free! Utilize this pleeeeese!
So I'm sure you want to know how I'm doing these days... The answer is excellent, with one exception. when I said the food here was amazing I need to qualify... It's amazingly tasty and more so amazingly disturbing to the stomach. It's quite horrible. The rumors about the orange Juice are false... only in the fact that it isn't just the Orange Juice... It's everything. Don't drink any of the milk Michael and Brandon... just don't.
The language is amazing. German is nothing, yes, nothing. Hopefully I can show you a bit in a written letter how crazy the language is but I love it just the same. And I think it sounds great... that's a bonus. It's only maybe day five (I'm not counting) here and I already can say quite a bit... pray, bear my testimony, etc. But I'm no where close to speaking it at all. The amount that I retain is great and astonishing but in order for this to happen I HAVE to have the spirit with me AND find balance. I must study the Gospel as well. Through hard work and struggling, step by step, I know I'll get it.
The MTC is a great place of love and the spirit and a bit of insanity too. It seems people will do anything to find entertainment at night such as baseball with a bottle and clobbering the new guys room and wasting their precious alive-time.
I have several teachers here. My favorite is Brother Saakha. He is Thai and has a great conversion story. He was just a young boy when his new born baby brother died just weeks after his birth. He was left wondering why he couldn't see his brother again and why he wasn't moving. It left a great need and yearning of heart in him. The priests told him that his brother did not have any time to collect merit in this life and so he was going to Hell. Brother Saakha went to school and eventually met up with the missionaries...
My time is limited to write of course so.... write me tons and tons of letters. Make sure Brandon updates my facebook with my addresses and get me e-mail addresses of friends if you can.
I love you all so much and hope to hear from you! I'll be able to E-mail every Tuesday, yay! Also, the date I leave for Thailand is October 27.

With more love than is possibly possible,
Elder Lilly

No comments: