Nov 18, 2008

Email 11-18-2008

Hello!

Today I am going to some sort of Ice Cream store to eat an Earthquake. Supposedly it feeds 8 Thai people. We are ordering two...

I don't like posting the number of Baptismal dates very much because the road to baptism is long and Hard. We try to visit each of our investigators about twice a week to help them continue to be committed and feel the spirit. The Gift of the Holy Ghost is important to the max. (that's how you would phrase it in Thai). Plus we give the baptismal commitment very early and they slowly learn more about it until they are ready. The most obvious thing that you find out about Thai people reeeally quickly is that they don't like to reject you politely. Meaning, they don't like to reject you nicely right in front of your face, instead they typically tell you they don't have ANY time or they will accept your invitation and then avoid you at all costs. Which fact gets really bad when they set up an appointment that they avoid when they live an hour away. That has only happened twice, (the same guy). That's not very typical however, usually they will say they are busy and cancel the appointment over and over again.
But I have to say that they do it because they don't want to reject you harshly or openly. There are so many awesome people here. Last night is a great example. We had taught an investigator only once before and left him and his wife a book of Mormon and a pamphlet. They didn't have a phone so the only way we could contact them was through a less active member who actually referred them to us. Calling her wasn't working out so we decided to drop in for a short visit and hopefully set another appointment. This was a week after our first appointment, a long time especially for only meeting once. So we dropped by and the first thing I noticed was the pamphlet open laying on the floor because they were just reading it. As we explained we were just dropping by for a short visit they told us it was fine and they were open. Then the Husband explained how he was on page 37 (in the book of Mormon) and that when he read about the Prophet being rejected and the people not listening to his words he cried. Woah, that's awesome. And then he and his wife talked about what they had read about with the vision of the tree of life and the fruit. Most investigators have trouble understanding the Scriptures with it's old style of writing. Needless to say the lesson went great and they told us that they believe and are going to church this Sunday for sure. And they are going to have a child soon. Wow.

As far as the language is concerned, it's been pretty tough trying to converse with people like I wanted too. My companion wasn't very good about letting me start a conversation. (I guess he forgets I'm still new sometimes) But I made a goal to always testify or at least contribute to every conversation. When we are sitting down talking about the gospel I do great. When they start talking about random other things it gets more difficult. Also we made a goal for me to invite at least five people a day. So, I'm doing it. The thing about language is it's mostly about faith. If I don't open my mouth, then I don't exercise my faith and I don't help very much. If I do and I screw up then the Spirit will either testify or the person will be hard hearted and not accept anyway. Either way I have to have the desire and the spirit or nothing will work out. Sometimes I can speak so well during a lesson I forget I'm new. Other times I feel really weak in speaking. The spirit is the real teacher whether It helps me speak or not.
It's tough tough tough tough tough. Sometimes I wait for the right time to speak, I think of what I'll, say but that feeling never comes. I can't just not speak! So I have to just use my best judgment and testify.

Anyway,
Thank you all for your support and prayers. I'm excited for the awesome Thanksgiving that is going on back home without me. I can just imagine all the pie and the rolls riiiiight now. Oh yeahhh ...I need to go eat my earthquake.

No comments: